– Alternative lifestyles – divine law, social order & individual freedom
– What can one gain (learn) by stripping life down to its bare essentials?
– Alyssa Siegel’s response to her father
– Human nature:
– Intrinsic motivation
External locus of control
– Personal referents
– Moral norms (social)
Ethical convictions (personal)
– Emulate – moving from admiration to imitation.
– Shanthuru Premkumar, Julie Goldberg & Chandran – Brussels.
– Discernment » discretion
– I ridicule, condemn & curse the IPL (Cricket)!
– How can anyone live in lust or greed or anger or pride or cruelty??
– Pensees – my blog does not have articles which preach/say something, only vignettes which suggest/ask something!
Goads to provoke your soul…… launching pads for you to take-off on your own jumps, & points of departure for your own wanderings……
The dance of intersections & divergences!
– Desire-believe » feel-think » express-respond » belong-relate & build-repair!
– Blogging about blogging,
Movies about cinema,
Talking about communication…
– Words, images & impressions
– Light, texture & colour
– Observation & articulation » analysis & synthesis » evaluation & inferences » implications & application
– Advocating a message
Insinuating a mood
Artful ~ subtle ~ indirect!
– Ingratiate with…
– Item numbers & comedy pieces
– Empowering women
– Fucking socialites!
Culture » celebrity,
Celebrity » culture!
It’s a vicious circle…
Studying a theology in its own religious, philosophical & cultural milieu
Martyrdom & atonement
Substitution ~ ransom
Mercy-seat, blood-sacrifice & forgiveness-cleansing
Demonic evil, cosmic catastrophe, divine victim & human redemption
Tenets – clear, coherent & concise – basic definitions, principles & instructions
Apologetics & accommodation
Adaptation & compromise
‘Devout reason’ & ‘Basic instincts’
Voluntarism & automatisation
State, church & school
Rational judgment & virtuous conduct
Spiritual knowledge, religious doctrine, virtuous character & practical reason
Anger, fear & grief always go hand-in-hand!
The value & danger of sensuality
No self-control, no justice
Equanimity ~ wisdom
Discipline, discernment & love (in that order!)
Reality, ideality & reflectivity
No passion/anger, no conviction/courage!
Faith vs. Impulse
Noble ~ honourable
The martyr, the tyrant & the land
4 Maccabees 1:11
“Jesus is Lord!”
Yes, but what does this mean & signify for us today? How do we understand its truth & seek to practice the implications of this belief?
Spirit/reason/mind OVER flesh/emotion/matter
From ruling factor to ordering principle!
Pleasure – love, joy, peace, faith (clarity/confidence), hope
Pain – anger/hatred, grief, fear/anxiety, confusion, despair
Where does doubt & wonder fit in here? Maybe they are just the 2 sides of the experience of Glory (which is greater than even Goodness, and transcends the dichotomy of good-&-evil!)……
How are virtue & vice related with the positive & negative emotions?
4 Maccabees 1:25
GOD is NOT good, he is great!
Rationality & affectivity
Personality & morality
“The jungle of emotions”
Mental desires & physical habits
Law/GOD, faith/spirit & will/mind
Yoga poses, emotions & benefits
Insecurity >> imbalance
Breathing, posture, balance & stretching
Destressing by concentrating (on your breath)!