Cloud of suspicion
lentic x lotic
– The Garden of Eden:
“You will be like God” ~ “You will not die”
(Gen. 3:3 – but there were two trees in ‘the middle of the orchard” (Gen. 2:9)… Was there a confusion between the two during the temptation??)
Nakedness ~ mortality
Compare with the movie “Tree of Life” & “The Fountain”
Gen. 3:22 – why should man not know good & evil, and live forever?? Why should man not be like GOD?!
So, they were both created mortal…!?
Tree of life –> fruit of knowledge. NOT the other way around!
– Pride ~ selfishness ~ greed ~ arrogance ~ violence
Sin –> destruction –> repentance/humility –> restoration
– Was Jonah a ‘false prophet’?
The prophet who is also the villain!
– Are you glad that GOD loves your enemies?
Overturned –> turned over!
Accusations & warnings
Politics + lies
Religion + money
Market + violence
Blame the leaders
Land reforms are coming!
The rich better beware
Confront & judge –> forgive & redeem
“He will trample evil (our sins!)”
GOD – abounding in mercy; slow to anger; great in power; won’t leave evil unpunished
Celebrating the fall of the tyrant
GOD is grieved and angered by the oppression and death of the innocent
Lament ~ complaint
Design & content; structure & purpose; nature & message
Spiritual frontier/theological vanguard
The righteous are sustained by the vision of GOD’s future
Vows & woes. What about wows?!
Physical pleasure, economic growth and national security as idols
The cycle of revenge (used by GOD!)
“Renew your work in our days” – OMG!
Pharaoh ~ Caesar ~ POTUS?
Justice for all = judgment of the powerful + vindication of the innocent
– No matter how far I wander from the Bible, I still want to keep in touch with (the character/nature of) this GOD!
– What if there is no faithful remnant??
– Facts as metaphors, with far greater significance and implications, than just their immediate relevance.
– Are sexual promiscuity and violent crime related?
– The only way to be freed from self-obsession is the worship of GOD…?
– Is GOD really good?
Is GOD all-powerful?
Is GOD perfectly wise?
– Yes, the Bible does sound a lot like today’s Evangelicals, but I somehow have a deep suspicion that there is a crucial/vital difference between the two. Defining this will be the key to confronting them & exposing their mistake…
– Is it possible to become wealthy & powerful without corruption & oppression?
– “If you are a preacher of mercy, do not preach an imaginary but the true mercy. If the mercy is true, you must therefore bear the true, not an imaginary sin. God does not save those who are only imaginary sinners. Be a sinner, and let your sins be strong [or sin boldly], but let your trust in Christ be stronger, and rejoice in Christ who is the victor over sin, death, and the world. We will commit sins while we are here, for this life is not a place where justice resides. We, however, says Peter (2. Peter 3:13) are looking forward to a new heaven and a new earth where justice will reign. It suffices that through God’s glory we have recognized the Lamb who takes away the sin of the world. No sin can separate us from Him, even if we were to kill or commit adultery thousands of times each day. Do you think such an exalted Lamb paid merely a small price with a meager sacrifice for our sins? Pray hard for you are quite a sinner.” – Martin Luther
– For most people, their work interferes with leisure time, for me it seems to be the opposite!
I must be aware of, and compensate for, this.
– Who said you need a paid subscription for a high quality anti-virus?!
Move over McAfee. Welcome Avast!
– Compensation – I have found a way to reverse the (effects of the) past!
E.g. Follow feasting by fasting
– “Make America Great Again”
“A Future to Believe In”
– Is there a significant/substantial part of your life apart from the relational & professional aspects?
Who I am > my relationships + what I do + how much I have
– Isn’t the US army/government to be held responsible for the killings (by the Taliban) of its Afghan/Iraqi translators?
– Virus definitions
– Dialogue ~ truth-seeking
Personal conversation & truth-speaking
Truth/duty & courage/freedom
Self-criticism & confronting power
Debate & democracy
Citizen ~ witness
Governance & culture
Agora & the king’s court – the relationship between the king & his advisors is crucial for the welfare of the people.
The parrhesiastic game
The silent majority
Do you desire (to know) the truth about yourself?
Spiritual education ~ soul technology
Self-care, the pursuit of enlightenment and the ideal society
Flattery & coercion
Positive & negative asceticism
demos ~ demon
What is the difference between conceptual & discursive?
The people’s desire
The city’s best interest
Unscrupulous orators ~ Indian politicians
Comedic poets ~ Kollywood
Your leaders are only as good/bad as you deserve!
The tyranny of the stupid majority
Logos & bios
“techne tou biou”
– Presence ~ patience
– The 2016 US presidential election and Foucault’s “Discourse and Truth”
– Do you know how to use (single and double) quotation marks correctly?