– “In the solitude of prayer we slowly unmask the illusion of our dependencies and possessiveness, and discover in the center of our own self that we are not what we can control or conquer but what is given to us from above to channel to others. In solitary prayer we become aware that our identity does not depend on what we have accomplished or possess, that our productivity does not define us, and that our worth is not the same as our usefulness.”
– Henri Nouwen
– No underwear during summer.
What are the pros and cons?
– Reading the newspaper, I realize that I am living in a part of the world which is in a much better state than many others!
– Bracing for the status quo
– Is it possible to be both balanced/healthy and radical/excellent?
Or is mediocrity/conformity the only option?
Is there a middle way?
– There is no smoke without fire
– Internal colonialism
– Institutionalized corruption
– A bewildering balance sheet
– “No serious scholarship can know in advance what it seeks to achieve.” – Nikhil Govind
Truth is a pursuit. Knowledge is the way…
The destination is Life!
– Everyone is equal in (personal) worth, but not everyone is equal in (professional) expertise.
– Sophisticated systematizations of doubt
– Authority as the responsibility to keep (everyone involved, especially the leader) true & humble.
– Orthodoxy, orthopraxy & orthopathy ~ Faith, hope & love ~ Liturgy, mission & formation ~ Worship, service & disciplines ~ Theology, vocation & community ~ Belief, works & experience
Against dead formalism, lethal moralism & shallow enthusiasm
– Faith, hope & love –> love, joy & peace
– When the leader treats his/her people as friends, instead of servants, it naturally creates an environment which fosters cooperation, instead of competition, among the colleagues!
– The Witch:
If I was in the place of William (the father), I might have become a charismatic exorcist!
(I am a liberal theologian now)
His words abide in you ~ you bear much/lasting fruit ~ ask whatever you will & the Father will grant it!
– “I am Yazidi” – BBC
– BBC HARDTalk with Rachel Dolezal
I am good at giving the other more freedom,
And you are good at being more affectionate & caring.
I might become indifferent/distant, & you may become more demanding/dependent.
Nothingness (e.g. Silence)
Emptiness (e.g. Death)
Do you find boredom interesting??
– “Sine nomine”
– Is authoritative divine self-revelation still continuing or is it complete with the canon of Scripture?
– I think if I take 1 (or 2!) month vacation every year, fully & freely express the wild/raw/naked side, then I will no longer have the (periodic) temptation to throw away the entire ministry (permanently)……!
– When your income increases, increase the percentage of your giving.
– Peak summer (May & June) – no exercise…?
– “No other name”
– Humanism without anthropocentrism.
Individuality without egocentricity.
Relationality without conformity.
– If 2 people have to walk together, they both need not agree on everything (or even the most important things), but they must seek to meet somewhere in between their divergences…
Otherwise, understanding is not gonna result in acceptance.
A middle/common ground must somehow be found!
– “Hark, the glad celestial hymn,
Filling the heavens with sweet accord.”
Everyday of life on this earth, touchdown with Heaven.
Connect with the Joy, or lose your hope!
– What does it mean to “own this mystery”?
– Sublimating biological parenthood into spiritual nurturing.
This year, our wedding anniversary is also Mother’s Day!
Julian of Norwich as mother…
– “Be merciful to me, O God, be merciful to me,
For I cry to you, who fulfills your purpose for me.”
“My heart is steadfast, O God, my heart is steadfast,
And I will sing of thy great faithfulness.”
“Be exalted, O God, above the heavens!
Let thy glory be over all the earth!”
– GOD as mother & brother
– Should we add “Servant-Friend” as a distinctive spiritual type?
Simple, kind & dutiful. The most ‘ordinary’ of all the types!
– Parents, teachers, elders, pastors, etc.
– Comforting without being lenient.
And correcting without being discouraging.
– Being a complete person, without job, marriage, parenthood, wealth, reputation, etc.
– All saints are monsters!
– Domestic nurture –> global impact!
– The educator/counselor/sponsor as parent
– Maturity includes the capacity to deal wisely with immaturity.
– Fantasies of escape
…does this Chennai climate make people more aggressive, distracted & depressed?
– “Let the peace of Christ be in control in your heart (for you were in fact called as one body to this peace), and be thankful.”
– Colossians 3:15 NET
Unity between people, rooted in the body of GOD!
“Captain America: Civil War” (cool)
Hmmm… Not quite up to expectations.
Not enough heart/intelligence, although the action is eye-catching! The plot felt too long & winding…
This comes nowhere near “Batman Vs. Superman: Dawn of Justice”.
I somehow don’t like comedy mixed with the action (Deadpool, etc.)
It is possible to fight the right battles, but for the wrong reasons.
Friendship and vengeance as prejudices/biases!
Can one be passionate without being impulsive?
Sometimes, the only way for the true/good to be discovered is through the conflict between 2 (or more) good persons!
“As iron sharpens iron, so a friend sharpens a friend.”
Is this possible without the side-effect of friction? Why does this process become (hot & blunt) sometimes?
It’s easy to be a lone warrior, but one superhero can achieve much more, by becoming a member of a team, which is far more challenging & difficult…!
– “If I say, “My foot is slipping,” your loyal love, O Lord , supports me. When worries threaten to overwhelm me, your soothing touch makes me happy.”
Psalms 94:18-19 NET
During times of crisis, is it possible for GOD to reach me, when I am not in touch with him?
Does GOD (usually) act in me without my conscious cooperation?
Do miracles happen without faith?
– Doing –> becoming –> being…… –> doing –> ……
Doing everything, in order to become who I am!
– “The crucible for silver and the furnace for gold, but people are tested by praise.”
WOW! So true. One can fail through success & succeed through failure…
– Think why you are, & feel how you are
– Never volunteer to be a guarantor for someone else.
– “A loud and cheerful greeting early in the morning will be taken as a curse!”
A good thing done at the wrong time (or in the wrong way) becomes a bad thing.
– Tend/work/keep ~ protect/nourish/prune
– The distinction between thinking & feeling is crucial, & respecting both is even vital!
– Nagging – What can you do when you cannot turn it off, or get away from it?
This is a critical question for me!
I must somehow learn to keep my cool, while in the midst of the fire.
Maybe humor & indifference can help?
– Do I have a master?
No one that I know of!
– Heart ~ life ~ face
– Holy Trinity:
Breath, word & body
– The questions that Bakhtin asks of language, are similar to what I am asking of my own life now…!
– Guard ~ unite
How can persons without integrity, live in harmony with other people? What is the basis of true safety?
– I have given them your name, your word & my own self!
– Delight ~ nourish!
– I entrust myself to what You have given me, & I prepare myself for their sake
– The son of destruction ~ agent of Satan ~ enemy of GOD
– Enjoying is sharing, &
Sharing is enjoying
– Abiding in the truth ~ carrying on the mission
– Chosen out of, & sent back into……
– Commission –> consecration
Sanctify ~ sacrifice