Communion => community
Truth => love
The day of evil/hour of darkness
……but, in order to do those 3 or 4 life-transforming things, you have to keep doing the hundred other ordinary stuff!
Life is precious. Make each day count. Keep it fresh!
“If we don’t end war, war will end us.” – H.G. Wells
Moving from ritualism to sacramentality!
“Courage is only the accumulation of small steps.” – George Conrad
“I will thank the LORD with all my heart! I will tell about all your amazing deeds!” (Psalms 9:1 NET)
“The strongest principle of growth lies in human choice.” – George Eliot
The divinization of man => the humanization of all creation!
I love you = I respect you – “I take you seriously.”
I love you = I trust you – “I have confidence in you.”
I love you = I care for you – “I want to do all that I can to better your life.”
I love you – I share with you – “I can reveal myself deeply to you.”
If I could write one book like “Intimacy & Solitude”, my life would not be in vain.
Or if I could live out what I learn from a book like that, wouldn’t that be better?!
Wisdom, compassion & courage
Could divorce ever be a loving thing?
We must go through a long, hard process of thinking & understanding before we come to the decision on what the core issues are and how to address them best.
Superficiality is the curse of our age.
Inaction is also a decision.
No-self => defensive/isolated or dependent/demanding
No true solitude (deep self-knowledge) without intimacy,
And no true intimacy (deep mutual communication) without solitude.
Self > identities (assigned roles/simplistic labels)
Taking the contemporary traditional/conventional views of “love” and radically reformulating them!
You cannot do for another what you have not yet done for yourself.
Sex therapy as spiritual warfare!
Subtle (disguised, maybe even unconscious) emotional manipulation
Core-knowledge, core-confidence & core-love (mutual core knowledge & confidence)
Fear (inward) & hate (outward) go hand-in-hand. On the contrary…
Marriage should bring the freedom to do more, not a restricting situation.
Is it possible for 2 or more people in intimate relationships to live fully as individuals without killing anyone else? Or should each of them live as only half-persons in order for the relationships to survive?
Isn’t a world where half (or quarter of) the people live fully and half (or three fourths of) the people die fully, better than a world in which everyone is only half-alive (or more aptly half-dead)?
Is this the essential difference between the ancient & modern world?
What does it mean to be (spiritually) alive?
To keep moving one’s faith closer to the truth, & one’s desire closer to Beauty. And then to progressively live out one’s convictions (belief-aspirations) – becoming a good person!
The need (of the self) to be needed (by others, especially that one special other)
Less (quantity) is more (quality)
Misogyny ~ Gynophobia
What does duty have to do with choice?
Freedom & meaning ~ self-knowledge & intimacy
Fifth Gospel – if each of the four Gospel writers had their own peculiar versions of Jesus, why can’t I?
This author is a humanist, existentialist, liberal, relativist-pluralist, progressive, individualist & feminist
Distinguish: Male & masculinity
Female & femininity
The possessive/insecure wife
Her cavalier/free-spirited husband
“Stay together for the kids”
Chance = nature (the elemental forces) + nurture-culture (human history) + choice (individual freedom)!
Where is GOD in all of this??
Use Internet & mobile (esp. social networking) only on alternate days.
Focus more on solitude & intimacy! 😌
From information & communication wisdom & communion
Oneness/unity – essential/core/spiritual/unconscious level (accessed indirectly, by faith)
Twoness/diversity – practical/superficial/psychological/conscious (accessed directly, by experience)
Peek + boo = peekaboo!
Bland, blind & binding notions
Marriage after singleness
Marriage within singleness
Singleness after marriage
Singleness within marriage
I didn’t know that Internet is a capitalized word!
Can you please allow/encourage me to help myself?
Woman – romantic/psychological
Man – sexual/physical
The choice that you face at every major juncture of the journey (individually, relationally & culturally)!
The tracks keep running – parallel, overlapping, converging, intersecting, diverging……
We must be single when apart, & married when together!
Once in a while, can we get out of this straitjacket (of being husband-&-wife), and just be a friend/confidant/therapist to each other?
Then we can both get back into the marital roles again. We would function so much better if we had such times of Sabbath!
“Without let or hindrance”
Arresting & moving!
What do the prostitute and the monk have in common?
Human nature > our own desires & beliefs
The given, essential constitution!
– How can we understand the biblical language of “heaven”, “hell”, etc. apart from the notion of afterlife?
– GOD does intervene in history, but only very rarely, in exceptional situations.
Metaphysics, not anti-physics
– The monarch
The man of GOD
– Spirituality & philosophy are mutually interdependent, just like theology & ethics.
– Spirit is (your) life continuing in others, through (your) Word, after (your) death – reincarnation!
– Each person’s failure to find fullness of life can/should be a stepping stone for others (coming after) to succeed!
That’s how history moves forward…
– The prohibition of consuming animal blood, in the Torah, also seems to point toward vegetarianism as the ideal.
– Professional fuckers
– The sovereign LORD
The inward Light
– Salt, light & leaven
– Frank Spina
– Egregious padding
– We need a spirituality that is both biblical (faithful to the original theological revelation/tradition) & realistic (relevant to our lived experience)
– Bible – read, study, meditate, reread, etc. (get into it!)
Other books – just get the gist & apply (use them)
– The triad:
1. Work (maximize study, household chores, personal things-to-do, ministry, and minimize everything else)
2. Freak out (music, movies, TV, outing, sleep, etc.)
3. Contemplation (Scripture meditation, reflection, journaling, writing, liturgy, silence, solitude, retreat, fasting, etc.)
Instead of balancing all of them in each day. Set apart one day for each (3-day cycle)!
Maintain basic underlying rhythm for everyday (15 min. Zazen, exercise, daily calendar check, etc.)
– “The Cross behind me (motivation/energy), the world (New Creation) before me!”
– I just wanna maximally enjoy each & every day of my life (from now until my death), and do whatever I can to help others around me to do the same.
– Game of Thrones:
The Starks – “Family (natural bonds), honour (personal integrity) & duty (to king/country)”
What if they are conflicting?!
– A perfect body (very high maintenance)
A perfect soul (includes a fit body)
Choose… You can’t have both!
– “I can and I will!”
– “I bear the wounds of all the battles I avoided.” – s dutta
– “It was Grace that taught my heart to fear”
“But with you there is forgiveness, therefore you are feared.”
– What is the difference between:
– Supafly 😉
– Sleep/night is the engine of action/day!
– “….out of fear of life and fear of death we fall short of what our lives could be.” – Jürgen Moltmann
I want to understand what “fear of life” means! Is it not the same as fear of death (in a different sense)??
“Game of Thrones” – Season 1
“2001 – A Space Odyssey”
Spiritual ~ cosmic ~ metaphysical!
Reach out to touch it, & you will never be (the same) again……….
Compare with the movie “Prometheus”
– “What people believe is a measure of what they suffer.”
– Now I know why the book is called “A Song of Fire & Ice”!
– GOD (eternal & perfect) loves Man (finite & fallible).
Same nature (divine image) & everything else polar opposites…
But in GOD’s eyes, Man’s mortality is their glory!
Man (rational & independent) loves woman (sentimental & vulnerable).
Same nature (humanity) & everything else polar opposites.
But in man’s eyes, the woman’s frailty is her beauty!
– Death is the inability to live.
Life is the ability (freedom/possibility) to die!
– Determinedly unmelodic
– Can you identify the wolves in shepherd’s clothing?
What about me?!
– The male has a limited capacity to tolerate female nonsense, & the female has a limited capacity for male nonsense.
– Can one be both naughty & mature?
– Pure chance
– What are the interactions between spirit-faith, conscience-morality, intellect-reason & emotion-body?
What are the interactions between politics, economics, culture, religion, technology, business & ecology?
– The book “Intimacy & Solitude” (by Stephanie Dowrick) must be read together by couples.
– Inter-religious theologies must be done in Christian theological seminaries along with (not instead of) biblical theology.
– The Cross
The inward life
The organizational structure
– Resolve that you will never be tamed, to remain wild, until you die!
– Exclusivity – it is not that I cannot control myself, but that I am not convinced about the necessity/value of such closed loyalty.
– Imaginative historiography
– Down time
– Hypersensitivity » over-reaction
Callousness » indifference